Rebooting Rockwell's America: News, Art and Community
A PUBLIC SYMPOSIUM / September 11-13, 2009 / Stockbridge, Massachusetts
LODGING AND TRAVEL
- There are extensive options for travel to the Berkshires. The Albany (N.Y.) International Airport is less than an hour's drive from Stockbridge, Mass., and is served by American, Continental, Delta, Northwest, Southwest, United and US Airways, as is Bradley International Airport, just north of Hartford, Conn., and about 70 minutes from Stockbridge. The Stewart Newburgh (N.Y.) International Airport is about 90 minutes from Stockbridge and is served by AirTran, Delta, JetBlue, Northwest and USAirways.
Even Boston's Logan International Airport is about two hours.
- The Hudson Line of the Metro North commuter railroad terminates at the Wassaic, N.Y., station about an hour's drive south of Stockbridge. There are no rental-car services at the station, however. Email email@example.com for advise on shared-ride pickup services.
- Pittsfield, Mass., 10 miles north of Stockbridge, has daily Amtrak service from Albany, N.Y., and Boston as part of the Lake Shore Limited through train to Chicago. Advanced arrangements are possible for transportation to Stockbridge.
- Peter Pan Bus Lines offers direct daily service to Stockbridge from New York, Boston and other locations. CHECK SCHEDULES.
- Because the Berkshires is the location of Tanglewood, the summer home of the Boston Symphony Orchestra, and numerous other cultural institutions (Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, Shakespeare & Co., the Clark Art Institute, the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art), there are an array of quality hotels within a 15-30-minute drive of Stockbridge. The primary symposium lodging venue will be Stockbridge's historic Red Lion Inn. OTHER OPTIONS
Official conference hotels
The town of Great Barrington has an active main street and many unique restaurants. As an economic lodging option, we've selected the Berkshire Comfort Inn & Suites. A 15-minute drive from the Norman Rockwell Museum, we will arrange shuttle service for participants who don't have autos.
Berkshire Comfort Inn and Suites
249 Stockbridge Road (U.S. Route 7)
Great Barrington, MA 01230 (USA)
Phone: (413) 644-3200 (request Group Reservation #100498)
Fax: (413) 644-3212
DIRECTIONS: Berkshire Comfort Inn to Norman Rockwell Museum
The Berkshire Comfort Inn & Suites offers the newest hotel rooms in the Berkshires. A total of 93 rooms fully equipped with microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, hair dryer, iron and ironing board, free high-speed wireless internet and satellite television. Guests enjoy a complimentary breakfast with Belgian waffles, hot and cold cereals, fruit, bagels, breads, muffins, Danish, hard boiled eggs, juices, and coffee/tea/decaf. Our new activities wing with large indoor pool and hot tub, fitness room and game room is just the place to relax and unwind after a busy day in the Berkshires. For more information about the hotel, visit www.BerkshireComfortInn.com A block of discounted rooms has been reserved at the Berkshire Comfort Inn & Suites approximately a 15-minute drive to the Norman Rockwell Museum. To make housing reservations, please call (413) 644-3200 and provide the Group Reservation #100498 to receive the conference discount. The cut-off date for this room rate is Friday, July 31, 2009, and space is limited. Attendees are encouraged to book their rooms early to guarantee availability. Deluxe Room Rate: $175. A two-night minimum is required. MORE ABOUT HOTEL
A second option, closer to the museum and Saturday venues, is the historic Red Lion Inn.
The Red Lion Inn has been welcoming travelers to the Berkshires for more than two centuries. The Inn offers 108 individually decorated guestrooms, elegant and casual dining, live entertainment nightly, a year-round heated outdoor pool & hot tub, and shopping at The Red Lion Gift Shop and flagship Country Curtains Store. One of the few New England inns operating continuously since the 18th century, The Red Lion is convenient to the numerous cultural and outdoor attractions in the Berkshires. The Red Lion is a charter member of Historic Hotels of America and belongs to the New England Innkeeper and Resorts Association and Original Historic Inns of New England. A block of discounted rooms has been reserved at the Red Lion Inn -- approximately a five-minute drive to the Norman Rockwell Museum. To make housing reservations, please call (413) 298-5545 and provide the Group Reservation #164329 to receive the conference discount. The cut-off date for this room rate is Tuesday, August 11, 2009, and space is limited. Attendees are encouraged to book their rooms early to guarantee availability.
Deluxe Room Rates:
Friday, September 11, 2009 -- $175.00
Saturday, September 12, 2009 $220
Please note that a two-night minimum is required and rates do not include housekeeping gratuities.
In the Berkshires you will find inns and B&Bs in rustic, antique-filled Colonial homes; turn-of-the-century mansions with majestic fireplaces and canopy beds; and a variety of modern, full-service hotels and motels. To search for alternative accommodations, visit the Berkshire Visitors Bureau web site www.berkshires.org. Among the newest nationally-branded hotels is:
For an extended stay, The Berkshires are also home to the luxury, health-oriented Canyon Ranch (about 10 minutes from the museum) and the mind-body-oriented Kripalu Center for yoga (about five minutes from the museum). Both offer lodging.