Rebooting Rockwell's America: News, Art and Community
A PUBLIC SYMPOSIUM / September 11-13, 2009 / Stockbridge, Massachusetts
TENTATIVE SCHEDULE: TALKS, BREAKOUTS, IDEA SESSIONS
Historians, authors, scholars, journalists, technologists, volunteer and citizen journalists and new local media entrepreneurs will seed our talks and conversations. We'll work toward some fresh insights on the capacity of the social-media technologies to create and nurture real communities . . . to sustain the values and purposes of journalism in service of democracy. Our goal is to tap the wisdom of each participant, to trade examples of journalism that matters and journalism that works. While the program is a work-in-progress here's a sense of when, where and how we'll be working together:
Friday, Sept. 11, 2009
Location: Norman Rockwell Museum, Stockbridge, Mass.
- Noon-2 p.m. -- Preconvening -- Collaborative work sessions on the Norman Rockwell Museum campus (by invitation)
- 3 p.m. -- Registration opens-- At the Museum.
- 3:30 p.m.-5 p.m. -- Who's in the Room? -- A circle-round facilitated participant-to-participant introduction. What do we all bring to the discussion?
- 5 p.m.-5:30 p.m. -- Refreshments -- In the tent-covered terrace of the museum (and on the lawns, weather permitting)
- 5:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. -- Framing the Opportunities -- A moderated discussion among four key participants designed to frame the opportunities for re-inventing community news in a multimedia world.
- 6:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m. -- Buffet dinner -- Conversations continue during a buffet dinner -- sitting or mingling.
- 7:30 p.m.-8 p.m. -- Keynote talk -- Speaker TBA: "After 9-11: What does community mean?"
Saturday, Sept. 12, 2009
Location: Location: Monument Valley Middle School, Great Barrington, Mass.
7:30 – 8:30 am Continental Breakfast
8:30 – 9 a.m. Welcome and Overview of Day
9 – 10 a.m. Panel Discussion (Illustration)
10:15 – 11 a.m. Breakout Sessions
11:15 – Noon Breakout Sessions
Noon – 1 p.m. Lunch
1 – 1:45 p.m. Breakout Sessions
2 – 2:45 p.m. Breakout Sessions
2:45 – 3:30 p.m. Networking Break
3:30 – 4:30 p.m. Poster Sessions (or Roundtable discussions)
4:30 – 5 p.m. Closing Remarks
7 p.m. Dine Arounds
Sunday, September 13, 2009 Location: Norman Rockwell Museum
8 – 9 a.m. Continental Breakfast
9 – 10:30 a.m. Closing Plenary