From Media Giraffe
Revision as of 22:03, 3 September 2007 by Mediag
- 1 WHO'S ATTENDING / READ THE INVITATION / DOWNLOAD PROGRAM/AGENDA (PDF) LOCATION / DIRECTIONS / LODGING / OVERVIEW / " JTM2007 BLOG / LEARNING LINKS / READING LINKS / BLOGGING THE EVENT / ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS / PRE-CONVENING INTERVIEWS
- 2 Journalism That Matters -- the DC Sessions:What will happen when only the journalism is left?
- 3 Who attended? The signup roster
WHO'S ATTENDING /
READ THE INVITATION /
DOWNLOAD PROGRAM/AGENDA (PDF)
LOCATION / DIRECTIONS / LODGING / OVERVIEW / " JTM2007 BLOG / LEARNING LINKS / READING LINKS / BLOGGING THE EVENT / ESSENTIAL QUESTIONS /
Journalism That Matters -- the DC Sessions:
What will happen when only the journalism is left?
August 7-8, 2007, George Washington University, Media & Public Affairs Building
805 21st St., NW, Washington, DC 20052
Who attended? The signup rosterBelow is a list of participants in Journalism That Matters: The DC Sessions, Aug. 7-8, 2007, at The George Washington University School of Media & Public Affairs. To add link a link, simply click on the "edit" tab on the top of this page to edit and then the "save page" tab when done.
- Bill Allison, The Sunlight Foundation, Washington, D.C.
- Christopher Anderson, Ph.D. communications candidate, Columbia University, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Faye Anderson, citizen journalist, Anderson@Large, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Richard Anderson, founder/CEO, VillageSoup.com, Rockland, Maine
- Angie Bado, president/founder, mckinneynews.net, McKinney, Texas
- Robert Basler, Reuters Inc. blogger, Washington, D.C.
- Paul Bass, editor, New Haven Independent/ Online Journalism Project, New Haven, Conn.
- Matthew Bates, doctoral student, University of Maryland Philip Merrill College of Journalism (AEJMC)
- Valery Y.R. Bates-Brown, asst. VP / professor, visual communications, Virginia State University, Petersburg, Va.
- David Bennahum, president/CEO, The Center for Independent Media, Washington, D.C.
- Clyde Bentley, convergence journalism professor, University of Missouri (AEJMC)
- Scott Bosley, executive director, American Society of Newspaper Editors, Reston, Va.
- Wally Bowen, exec. director, Mountain Area Information Network, Asheville, N.C.
- John Boyer, executive director, Ilmworks Inc./Muslim Project, Annandale, Va.
- Lorraine Branham, director, School of Journalism, University of Texas, Austin, Texas
- Steve Brant, Founder & Principal, Trimtab Management Systems, HuffPost Blogger, New York, N.Y.
- Cody Brotter, student editor-in-chief, The Hastings Buzzer, Dobbs Ferry, N.Y.
- Merrill Brown, / chairman, NowPublic.com / editorial director,of the News21 Carnegie-Knight Initiative on the Future of Journalism Education
- Will Bunch, reporter/blogger, Attytood, and The Daily News, Philadelphia, Pa.
- Patrick Butler, vice president, programs, International Center for Journalists, Washington, D.C.
- Bill Buzenberg, executive director, Center for Public Integrity, Washington, D.C.
- Jessica Bynoe, Program Officer, Youth Engagement, Academy for Education Development, New York, N.Y.
- Mary Beth Callie, assistant professor, communication, Regis University, Denver, Colo. (AEJMC)
- Ed Carter, assistant professor, Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
- Sam Chaltain, Executive Director, Five Freedoms, Washington, D.C.
- Sue Ellen Christian, assoc. prof. of journalism, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Mich.
- Jessica Clark, research director, Center for Social Media, American University and editor-at-large, In These Times magazine
- David Cohn, graduate student, blogger/ Columbia Journalism School and NewAssignment.Net, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- Jeff Crigler, CEO, Voxant Inc., Reston, Va.
- Ingrid Dahl, Editor, Youth Media Reporter, Academy for Educational Development, New York, N.Y. Youth Media Reporter
- George L. Daniels, asst. professor of journalism, Univ. of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala. (AEJMC)
- Tom Davidson, project director, Tribune Interactive, Newport News, Va.
- Michael Deehan, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Bill Densmore, director, The Media Giraffe Project at UMass, Amherst, Mass.
- Eduardo de Oliveira, editor, The Brazilian Journal/N.E. Ethnic Newswire / Nashua, N.H.
- Neil Didriksen, publisher, Maryland Media, Lutherville, Md.
- Jacqueline Dupree, JDLand and intranet editor, The Washington Post, Washington, D.C.
- Margaret Duffy, acting dean for graduate studies, Missouri School of Journalism, Columbia, Mo.
- Todd Eskelsen, attorney/partner, Schiff Hardin LLC, Washington, D.C.
- Guillemette Faure, U.S correspondent,Le Figaro and Rue89
- Fabrice Florin, director, NewsTrust.net, Mill Valley, Calif.
- Pam Foster, director, student publications, Tennessee State Univ., Nashville, Tenn.
- Andrea Breemer Frantz, associate professor, Wilkes University, Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
- Margaret Freivogel, co-founder, St. Louis Platform, Kirkwood, Mo.
- William Freivogel, acting dean, School of Journalism, Southern Illinois University, Cabondale, Ill. (AEJMC)
- Lew Friedland, Madison Common co-founder and professor, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wis.
- Paul Fucito, communications director, School of Media & Public Affairs, GWU, Washington, D.C.
- Kevin Gamble, associate director, National eXtension Initiative, North Carolina State Univ., Raleigh, N.C.
- Manuel Garcia, AME-Metro, The Miami Herald Media Co., Miami, Fla.
- Robert Giles, curator, Nieman Foundation for Journalism, Harvard University, Cambridge, Mass.
- Dan Gillmor, founder, Center for Citizen Media, Berkley, Calif., and Cambridge, Mass.
- Bob Greiner, local news editor, WashingtonPost.com, Arlington, Va.
- Tom Grubisich, OJR contributor, web editor, The World Bank, Washington, D.C.
- Andrew Haeg,senior producer, CIJ, American Public Media, Saint Paul, Minn.
- John Hamer, executive director, Washington News Council, Seattle, Wash.
- Tanya Harned, ePluribus Media and ePluribus Media Timelines, Columbia, Mo.
- Tana Hartman, board member/talk-show host, The Peoples Channel, Chapel Hill, N.C.
- Susan Hasan collaborator, Ilmworks Inc./Muslim Project, Annandale, Va.
- Arthur Hayes, associate professor, Dept. of Communication & Media Studies, Fordham University, Bronx, N.Y.
- Barbara Hipsman, associated professor/news, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
- Peggy Holman, author, The Change Handbook and co-director, Journalism that Matters Consortium, Seattle
- Brant Houston, director, Investigative Reporters & Editors, Columbia, Mo.
- Cody Howard, 6News director, The World Company, Lawrence, Kansas
- Anne Hoyt, master's candidate/Georgetown University, Washington correspondent, Mexico's Grupo Radio Centro / Washington, D.C.
- Evelyn Hsu, program director, Maynard Institute for Journalism Education, Oakland, Calif.
- Lee W. Huebner, director, School of Media & Public Affairs, the Geo. Washington Univ., Washington, D.C.
- G. Patton "Pat" Hughes, CEO-editor, Paulding.com / Neomaxcom LLC / Dallas, Georgia
- Paul Janensch, associated professor, Quinnipiac University, Hamden, Conn. (AEJMC)
- Debra Jasper, director, Kiplinger Program in Public Affairs Journalism, Ohio State Univ., Columbus, Ohio
- William Jiles, Florida A&M University (AEJMC)
- Pam Johnson, executive director, Reynolds Journalism Institute, Univ. of Missouri, Columbia, Mo.
- Linda Jue, exec. director, New Voices in Independent Journalism / exec. editor, George Washington Williams Fellowship, San Francisco
- Mark Jurkowitz, associate director, Project on Excellence in Journalism, Washington, D.C.
- Susan Kearney, vp-marketing, Voxant, Inc., Reston, Va.
- Janet Keefer, associate professor, School of Journalism and Mass Comm, journalism, Drake University, Des Moines, Iowa (AEJMC)
- Janet Key, lecturer in journalism/mass. comp./American University in Cairo, Egypt
- Natasha Klauss, videographer, The Documentary Center at Geo. Washington Univ., Washington, D.C.
- Steve Klein, Coordinator, Electronic Journalism Program, George Mason University
- Susan M. Knight, journalism professor, Univ. of Arizona, Tucson, Ariz.
- Bill Kovach, chairman/acting director, Committee of Concerned Journalists, Washington, D.C. (AEJMC)
- Peggy Kuhr, dean, University of Montana Journalism School, Missoula, Montana (former Knight Chair, Univ. of Kansas) (AEJMC)
- Beth Lawton, digital-media manager, Newspaper Association of America, Arlington, Va.
- Tien-Tsung Lee, professor, William Allen White School, University of Kansas, Lawrence, Kan.(AEJMC)
- Al Leeds, president and editorial director, L.A. Times/Washington Post News Service, Washington, D.C.
- David Loomis, professor, Indiana University of Pennsylvania (AEJMC)
- http://www.mediagiraffe.org/wiki/index.php/Jtm-dc-Chopeta_Lyons Chopeta Lyons,] editor, ePluribus Media and ePluribus Media Timelines, Willington, Conn.
- Andrew MacRae, intern,Center for Public Integrity, Washington, D.C.
- Audrey Manring, editor, The Women's Times, Great Barrington, Mass.
- Kathleen Manzo, associate editor, EPE/Education Week, Bethesda, Md.
- Albert May, assoc. professor of of media and public affairs, George Washington University, Washington,D.C.
- Dori Maynard, president, Maynard Institute for Journalism Education, Oakland, Calif.
- Jeanne McCann, managing editor, edweek.org, Bethesda, Md.
- Jen McClure, executive director, Society for New Communications Research, Palo Alto, Calif.
- Meredith McCulloch, New England News Forum, Bedford, Mass.
- Shawn Mcintosh, instructor, digital communications, Columbia University, New York, N.Y.
- Susan McKenna, master's candidate/publications director, Univ. of Illinois College of Communications, Champaign-Urbana, Ill. (AEJMC)
- Ilona Meagher, writer, ePluribus Media, Caledonia, Ill.
- Gabriella Meerbach, managing director Media on the Spot, Amsterdam (AEJMC)
- Sara Melillo, journalism program officer, McCormick Tribune Foundation, Chicago
- Rachel Davis Mersey, assistant professor, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, Minn.(AEJMC)
- Stephanie Michelle, videographer/attorney, Stealing Joy Productions, Arlington, Va.
- Amy Mitchell, Project for Excellence in Journalism, Washington, D.C. (AEJMC)
- Bill Mitchell, editor, Poynter Online, The Poynter Institute, St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Lawrence Mitchell, law professor, Geo. Washington Univ., Washington, D.C.
- Arlene Morgan, associate dean, Columbia Univ. Graduate School of Journalism, New York
- Nikhil Moro, Assistant Professor, Central Michigan University, Mount Pleasant, Mich.
- Emily Moses, multimedia program coordinator, UC-Berkley Journalism School/Knight New Media Center, Berkeley, Calif.
- Sharon Moshavi, director, digital media, International Center for Journalists
- Brett Mueller, website manager, Committee of Concerned Journalists, Washington, D.C.
- Angela Nelson, senior news/politics producer, Boston.com/Boston Globe, Lowell, Mass.
- Chris O'Brien, founder, Next Newsroom Project / reporter, San Jose Mercury News, San Jose, Calif.
- Russell Okamoto, Cofounder, Public Press, Portland, Ore.
- Mike Orren, president and founder, Pegasus News / Panlocal Media, Dallas, Texas
- Geneva Overholser, professor, Univ. of Missouri journalism school, Washington, D.C.
- Robert Park, graduate student journalism, Point Park Univ., Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Michael Parks, director, School of Journalism, Univ. of Southern California, Los Angeles
- Chris Peck, editor, The Commercial Appeal, Memphis, Tenn.
- Dale Peskin, managing director, iFOCUS, Virginia
- Nicholas Penniman, Washington director, Schumann Center for Media and Democracy, Washington, D.C.
- Peter Perl, asst. managing editor/training, The Washington Post, Washington, D.C.
- Steve Petersen, The Bivings Group, Washington, D.C.
- Victor Pickard, FreePress.net and graduate student, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Ill.
- Vikki Porter, director, Knight Digital Media Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Krishna Prasad, Citizen Journalist, Churumuri and Sans Serif, Mysore, India
- Jay Rosen, NewAssignment.Net, OffTheBus, and New York University, New York
- Marjorie Rouse, vp Europe/Eurasia, Internews Network, Washington, D.C.
- David Ryfe, Ourtahoe.org and the University of Nevada Reno (AEJMC)
- Elena Sassower, director, Center for Judicial Accountability, White Plains, N.Y.
- Ali Savino, program director, The Center for Independent Media, Washington, D.C.
- Jan Schaffer, director, J-Lab/The Institute for Interactive Media, Univ. of Maryland, College Park (AEJMC)
- Wadim Schreiner, managing director, Media Tenor Ltd.-South Africa (AEJMC)
- Carl Schierhorn, assoc. professor, Kent State Univ. School of Journalism, Kent, Ohio
- Barbara Schulz, writer, ePluribus Media and ePluribus Media Timelines, Encinitas, Calif.
- Barbara Selvin, journalism professor, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, N.Y.
- Ellen Scully-Russ, doctoral candidate, Columbia University Teachers College, Oakton, Va.
- Jim Shaffer, dean, Univ. of Southern Maine business school, Portland, Maine
- Michael Shanahan, asst. journalism professor, George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
- Andrew Sherry,senior vp-online communications, Center for American Progress, Washington, D.C.
- Keika Shimmyo, project assistant, School & Community Services, Academy for Educational Development, New York, N.Y.
- Vjollca Shtylla, senior program director, International Center for Journalists
- Stephen Silha, co-director, Journalism That Matters Consortium and past president, Washington News Council, Seattle, Wash.
- Norman Sims, Media Giraffe Project, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst, Mass. (AEJMC)
- Maurreen Skowran, founder, Journawiki and copy editor, The News & Observer, Raleigh, N.C.
- Timothy Smith, journalism professor, Kent State University, Kent, Ohio
- Jennifer Snyder-Duch, Assistant Professor, Carlow University, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- John Soloski, professor and former dean, University of Georgia, Bogart, Ga.
- Tom Stites, consulting editor, Center for Public Integrity, Newburyport, Mass.
- S. Holly Stocking, assoc. professor, Indiana University School of Journalism, Bloomington, Ind. (AEJMC)
- Michael Stoll, lecturer, San Jose State Univ., and director, Public Press Initiative
- Federico Subervi, professor, Texas State Univ. Journalism & Mass. Comm., San Marcos, Texas
- Roberto Suro, director, Pew Hispanic Center/USC-Annenberg, Washington,D.C.
- Jaap Swart, retired General Manager, Radio Netherlands Training Centre, Amsterdam
- Erin Teeling, New Media Associate, The Bivings Group, Washington, D.C.
- Jennifer Thomas, journalist/photographer, iberkshires.com/Boxcar Media, North Adams, Mass.
- Paul Thomas, writer, ePluribus Media and ePluribus Media Timelines, , Granville, Mass.
- Esther Thorson, associate dean, University of Missouri-Columbia School of Journalism
- Joe Torres, goverment relations manager, Free Press, Washington, D.C.
- Tony Van Witsen, independent documentary producer / formerly PBS Newshour / Boulder, Colo.
- Russ Walker, asst. managing editor, nation/world, washingtonpost.com, Alexandria, Va.
- Patrick Walters, graduate student, Univ. of Memphis, former Poynter Institute Naughton Fellow, Wyomissing, Pa.
- Jennifer Ward, interactive media editor, The Fresno Bee, Fresno, Calif.
- Tom Warhover, innovations editor, The Missourian / faculty, Univ. of Missouri J-School, Columbia, Mo.
- Elin Waring, ePluribus Media and ePluribus Media Timelines, / Joomla-Open Source Matters, Bronx, N.Y.
- Jiyan Wei, product manager, Vocus Inc./PRWeb, Lanham, Md.
- Carol White, Book Editor, ePluribus Media, Hamilton, Va.
- Josh Wilson, Newsdesk.org / also: Illuminated Media
- Leonard Witt, PJNet.org, Robt. Fowler chair, Kennesaw State Univ., Kennesaw, Ga.
- Jeffrey Young, web editor, Chronicle of Higher Education, Washington, D.C.