Difference between revisions of "Citizen media"
From Media Giraffe
(→<u>[http://newshare.typepad.com/greylocknews/2014/02/with-closure-of-transcript-advocate-residents-of-williamstown-call-feb-5-session-on-community-inform.html READ A BLOG STORY ABOUT THIS MEETING])
|(One intermediate revision by one other user not shown)|
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
Latest revision as of 16:17, 12 February 2014
- 1 READ A BLOG STORY ABOUT THIS MEETING
- 2 LISTEN TO AUDIO OF THIS MEETING
- 3 WATCH VIDEO OF THE MEETING
- 4 Greylock Citizen/Media Collaborative / 2014
- 4.1 Are you disturbed that our North Berkshire region has abruptly lost its two print news media in mid-January, The Transcript and The Advocate? If so, please come to a public forum to discuss what our Berkshire community might do about it.
- 4.2 JOIN US FOR A FREE, PUBLIC:
- 4.3 Dialogue on the Information Needs of the North Berkshire Community
- 4.4 Who's participated?
- 4.5 SOME QUESTIONS WE'LL CONSIDER:
- 4.6 Contacts:
- 4.7 PRE-CONVENING RESOURCES
LOOKING FOR NOTES OF A 2006 MEETING OF GCMC -- go HERE.
Greylock Citizen/Media Collaborative / 2014
URL for this page: http://www.greylocknews.org
Are you disturbed that our North Berkshire region has abruptly lost its two print news media in mid-January, The Transcript and The Advocate? If so, please come to a public forum to discuss what our Berkshire community might do about it.
JOIN US FOR A FREE, PUBLIC:
Dialogue on the Information Needs of the North Berkshire Community
The Williams Inn, Williamstown (new location)
Wed., Feb. 5, 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
A public, circle-round discussion, followed by light refreshments. (Discussions may continue after 8 p.m. at the Williams Inn tavern.)
- Find out who attended HERE.
SOME QUESTIONS WE'LL CONSIDER:
- Does our local Berkshires community need an independent, local news and opinion media source, whether print media, online, or both? Can The Berkshire Eagle or iBerkshires -- or Facebook -- meet that need?
- If we do need such a source, what options exist for forming one? Suggestions:
- A non-profit organization
- Co-operative ownership (like a food co-op)?
- A locally owned for-profit initiative or partnership (like iBerkshires or Hill Country Observer?
- Print, online, or both?
- How would such an enterprise be funded? Advertising? Subscriptions? Donations?
- Who would the target audiences be?
- Tela Zasloff, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Harry Montgomery, email@example.com
- Bill Densmore, facilitator, firstname.lastname@example.org
- READING: Informing Communities: Sustaining Democracy in the Digital Age." The Knight Commission on the Information Needs of Communities, (2009) Report copies available for free at the Milne Public Library
- RECOMMENDATIONS: Knight Commission on the Information Needs of Communities in a Democracy
- QUESTIONS: Are we living in an 'information healthy' community?
- LINKS: Readings, audio, articles and notes from 2006 and 2010 meetings in Williamstown and Bennington