REGISTER NOW *****WHO'S PARTICIPATING? ***** EVENT BLOG ****PROGRAM **** BREAKOUT TOPICS **** APPLICATION **** GOALS **** INITIAL PLANNING **** DC SESSIONS **** LODGING ****ABOUT US **** NEWSTOOLS NING COLLABORATION **** NEWS LINKS **** THE WISH LISTS**** TEN DISRUPTIVE TECHNOLOGIES? EVENT SPONSORS
HOW TO GET INVOLVED
"Journalism That Matters: The Silicon Valley Sessions" aims to be as much a process as a event. A group of up to 200 participants will gather April 30-May 3, 2008, at the Yahoo! Inc. conference center in Sunnyvale, Calif.
But we want to start organizing discussions and projects well before that . . . and continue to work collaboratively thereafter. Through participation in a Journalism That Matters event, you become part of a growing network of professionals and engaged citizens committed to sustaining tech-enabled journalism that fosters participatory democracy and community.
To begin now to engage with other NewsTools2008 participants, take either of these two steps:
- 1. REGISTER/APPLY -- Early-bird registration to attend JTM-SV in Sunnyvale on April 30-May 3 is NOW OPEN. We want attendees from diverse perspectives, fields and backgrounds . . . committed to action and exchange . . . and likely to contribute innovative tools or ideas. Because we can't accommodate much more than 150 people, we're treating conference registration as an application process, and will refund all of your registration fee, except for $25, if your application cannot be accommodated. We want to make sure we don't have too many journalists, or too many technologists or too few other folks. The secret is in the mix, to some degree.
- 2. ENROLL -- If you're not sure yet you can come to NewsTools2008, you can still add your name to our interest list and take part in the first facet of NewsTools2008.org -- pre-event networking and project planning. Simply click to the ATTENDEE PAGE and use the wiki to add your name, affiliation, and location (and embed links if you wish). If you want to be on our email list, also send an email to email@example.com. Regardless of whether you will be joining us at the April 30-May 3 event, by enrolling, you'll begin to receive program updates and opportunities to be part of some of the projects and learning we plan.
- 3. COLLABORATE -- We've established an online social network site to support pre-event collaboration by NewsTools2008 participants. You can set up a personal profile by responding to THIS INVITATION URL.
GENERAL REGISTRATION -- $395
General registration to participate in NewsTools2008.org is $395 for all days/events from 4 p.m. on Wednesday, April 30 through 5:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 3. The fee includes all meals except Friday dinner when you're on your own to network (or work) after an event-provided hors d'oeuvres reception.
WAITING LIST FOR REGISTRATION
If you would like to tell us about your interest in attending, but are not ready to commit to the $395 registration fee, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words "WAITING LIST" in the subject line. We'll put you on a priority waiting list for attendance if we fill up.
Journalism That Matters, The Media Giraffe Project, our supports and sponsors are committed to diverse attendance which includes the voices of youth, people of color and underrepresented communities. Individuals may apply for a diversity stipend to attend by choosing the "Requesting registration stipend" option when registration opens after Jan. 15. Stipend applicants should select the "Pay Later/Stipend" option when registering. Depending upon our resources, and space, you will notified by April 1 if you have received a stipend award, and the amount. If you would like to be put on a list for possible stipends right now, send email to email@example.com with the subject line: "STIPEND REQUEST."
A WORD ABOUT LODGING
We are negotiating a block of rooms in a hotel near Yahoo-Sunnyvale. We'll post information about this and other lodging options as a link from this page and at: http://www.mediagiraffe.org/wiki/index.php/Jtm-sv-lodging
THE THREE QUESTIONS
When you register, you'll be asked:
- In less than 150 words, please describe your work and background in a format which we can use on the public NewsTools2008.org website. We'll use this information to help introduce participants with similar interests/objectives for pre-event strategic planning.
- Please describe a particular technology, project, service or idea you'd like to learn about, or which you'd like to present to fellow participants. Please be specific with your suggestions and format. We will use this information to calibrate our program planning and may contact you.
- What's the critical conversation you want to have with others at Newstools2008.org? What do you hope to learn, take away or see accomplished regarding the transformation of journalism?
BACK TO NEWSTOOLS2008 HOME PAGE