WHO'S COMING . . . PROGRAM/AGENDA . . . BEST-PRACTICE TOPICS . . . DISCUSSION HOSTS . . . REGISTER NOW . . . LODGING/TRAVEL . . . STIPENDS . . . HOME PAGE. . . STUDY LINKS . . . SPONSORS . . . VIEW MAP . . . COLLABORATION SITE
- 1 Eight to participate in New Pamphleteers via Skype
- 2 SESSION SCHEDULE (all times CDT)
- 3 Cynthia Closkey, ButlerToday.com, Butler, Pa. (near Pittsburgh)
- 4 Andrew Donohue, co-founder, Voice of San Diego
- 5 Christine Stuart, owner/publisher, CTNewsJunkie.com
- 6 Geoff Dougherty, founder, ChiTownDailyNews.org
- 7 Jonathan Hart: On libel, law and insurance
- 8 David Cohn, founder, Spot.us
Eight to participate in New Pamphleteers via Skype
For various reasons, some valued JTM alumni and new participants can't join us in Minneapolis, but they hope to take part via a Skype audio-video connection which we'll set up in one breakout room on Thursday. To check out the schedule and participants, follow developments on this page:
Among participants via Skype -- Internet law expert Jonathan Hart, from Washington, D.C.; VillageSoup.com founder Richard Anderson from Camden, Maine; Cynthia Closkey, of ButlerToday.com in Butler, Pa.; Russell Okamoto from PublicPress.org, outside Portland, Ore.; Geoff Dougherty at ChiTownDailyNews.org in Chicago; Christine Stuart of CTNewsJunkie in Hartford, Conn.; David Cohn of spot.us in San Francisco; and Andrew Donohue of VoiceofSanDiego.com.
SESSION SCHEDULE (all times CDT)
- 8:15 a.m.-8:45 a.m. -- Richard Anderson, VillageSoupCommon OS
- 10:30 a.m.-11:00 a.m. -- David Cohn and spot.us initiative
- 11:00 a.m.-11:30 p.m. -- Russell Okamoto, "Celly" Citi-J platform (gaussgutenberg)
- 11:30 a.m.-12:01 p.m. -- Cynthia Closkey -- Pittsburgh blogger net (cynthiacloskey)
- 12:01 p.m.-12:30 p.m. -- Jon Hart, Internet law (w/Jane Kirtley)
OUR LUNCH BREAK IN MINNEAPOLIS
- 01:15 p.m.-1:45 p.m. -- Geoff Dougherty -- engaging citizen journalists (geoffdougherty)
- 01:45 p.m.-2:15 p.m. -- Christine Stuart -- Building state news network (christine.stuart31)
- 02:15 p.m.-2:45 p.m. -- Andrew Donahue -- Non-profit business success (addonohue)
Cynthia Closkey, ButlerToday.com, Butler, Pa. (near Pittsburgh)
What Cynthia wants to learn:
- How to market an online news site/community site (especially in a low-tech small town)
What Cynthia wants to share and teach:
- What makes Pittsburgh the "third bloggiest city in America" (and what that distinction might mean)
- The evolving plans and strategy we've used at ButlerToday, and the direction we're taking next
Andrew Donohue, co-founder, Voice of San DiegoLISTEN TO AUDIO OF ANDREW DONOHUE
Top editor Andrew Donohue of Voice of San Diego, a pioneering local online news community organized as a non-profit, speaks via Skype connection on June 5, 2008 with fellow local news bloggers at "The New Pamphleteers," conference in Minneapolis, Minn. Donohue is a native of Wisconsin who earned a journalism degree at the University of Minnesota, he said. Click on the carat to the left of the bar below to launch streaming audio of the session. Or download an MP3 audio.
Christine Stuart, owner/publisher, CTNewsJunkie.comLISTEN TO AUDIO OF CHRISTINE STUART
Christine Stuart left a small daily newspaper in 2006 to take over CTNewsJunkie and has built it into a respected source of state government news for the Nutmeg state. In this audio portion of a Skype videoconference, Stuart trades notes with Wisconsin placebloggers assembled at "The New Pamphleteers," conference June 5, 2008 in Minneapolis, Minn.
Geoff Dougherty, founder, ChiTownDailyNews.orgLISTEN TO AUDIO OF GEOFF DOUGHERTY
What Geoff want's to learn:
- How have other organizations found success with ad sales, sponsorships and/or reader donations.
What Geoff wants to teach:
- How to recruiting citizen journalists.
Geoff Dougherty, Editor Chi-Town Daily News 773.362.5002, ext. 10 email@example.com 5412 N. Clark, Suite 218, Chicago, IL 60640
Jonathan Hart: On libel, law and insuranceLISTEN TO JONATHAN HART
Jonathan Hart is counsel to the Online News Association and an expert on emerging aspects of Internet law, including libel. In a Skype teleconference, he meets with participants in New Pamphleteers/New Reporters on June 5, 2008, in Minneapolis. Among those joining the session are Jane Kirtley, attorney, professor and First Amendment scholar at the Univ. of Minnesota, and Robert Cox, of the Media Bloggers Association. Cox discusses his group's intention to sponsor the first libel policy for bloggers.
David Cohn, founder, Spot.us
What David want's to learn: The issues and concerns of placebloggers - specifically the ambitions.
What David wants to teach:
- How to raise money online using Spot.us for investigative journalism.
David Cohn, Editor Spot Us www.spot.us Skype: dcohn1 phone: (310) 365-3600