WHO'S COMING . . . PROGRAM/AGENDA . . . BEST-PRACTICE TOPICS . . . DISCUSSION HOSTS . . . REGISTER NOW . . . LODGING/TRAVEL . . . STIPENDS . . . HOME PAGE. . . STUDY LINKS . . . SPONSORS . . . VIEW MAP . . . COLLABORATION SITE . . . PRE-CONVENING INTERVIEWS . . . SKYPE SESSIONS. . . PRE-CONVENING LEARNING. . . PRE-CONVENING TEACHING . . . TWITTER RSS FEED . . . TWITTER LINK
Program and Agenda
America’s new online citizen-journalists are inventing a new business and a new passion — the business of building local, literate, digital domains on the web where community and commerce flourish, But efforts — and structure — to share best practices are only just emerging.
The agenda will be a mix of practical workshops on specific best practices and open, circle-round discussions. There will be ample opportunity for networking, and for planning collaboration.
Wed., June 4
- Noon -- Registration opens, McNamara Alumni Center, Univ. of Minnesota
- 1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. -- [Citizens at the Gates: A Research Briefing -- (Margaret Duffy, Univ. of Missouri)
- with Matt Thompson, Mary Turck and Jan Schaffer. (TEXT DETAILS AND VIDEO)
- 1:30-2:30 Moderated conversation about the research
- 2:30 p.m.-3:00 p.m. -- Additional registration for late arrivals; coffee/tea/juice/cookie break
- 3:00 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. -- Opening Circle -- Expectations/Expertise
Including an brief conversation about "A Passion for Place," Concepts for the American Society of News and Community Forums (ASNCF).
- 5:30 p.m.-6:00 p.m. -- Break
- 6:00 p.m.-7:00 p.m. -- Informal "Stand-up" Dinner
- 7:00 p.m.-7:45 p.m. -- Talk/discussion: Joel Kramer, editor, MinnPost.com and others TBD -- Changing Roles in the Emerging News Ecology
- 7:45 p.m.-9:00 p.m. -- The Coffee House -- Speed topics
Thurs., June 5
- 8 a.m.- 8:45 a.m. -- Continental breakfast and networking
- 8:50 a.m. -- BRIEFING: Citizen Journalism at Univ. of Minn. -- Albert Tims
- 9 a.m. - 9:30 a.m. -- OPENING TALK: "Setting the Civic Agenda" -- John Nichols
- 9:30 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. -- Morning check-in/agenda setting
- 10:15 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. -- Break
- 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. -- First breakouts and roundtable discussions
- 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. -- Second breakouts and roundtable discussions
- 12:30 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. -- Luncheon
- 1:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. -- Third breakouts and roundtable discussions
- 2:30 p.m. - 2:45 p.m. -- Break
- 2:45 p.m. - 3:15 p.m. -- Reports from the sessions
- 3:15 p.m.-4:15 p.m. -- Next step breakout discussions / form ASNCF?
- 4:15 p.m.-5:15 p.m. -- Closing session
- 5:15 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. -- Break
- 5:30 p.m. - 6:15 p.m. -- Hor d'oeuvres reception
- 6:30 p.m. - ???? -- Meetup with NCMR principals; entertainment
Fri., June 6 (optional taping session/Minnesota Public Radio)
- 8:00 a.m. -- Bus departs from McNamara Center/Day's Inn to St. Paul studio's of Minnesota Public Radio
- 8:30 a.m. -- 10:00 a.m. -- Videotaping of "The Passion of Place," a discussion about the motivation, passions, fears and successes of local online news/community entrepreneurs, facilitated and videotaped for public distribution. (Up to 20 attending local placebloggers/entrepreneurs invited to participate).
- 10:45 a.m. -- Bus arrives back at McNamara/Day's Inn
- 11:00 a.m. -- Conference ends