Bullet-point notes of Dec. 6, 2006 meeting of Greylock Citizens Media Collaborative
(by Bill Densmore)
Here is a list of reports or discussions. A small group continued to meet at the Williams Inn after the meeting ended around 8 p.m. To listen to an audio recording ("podcast") of the Dec. 6, session CLICK HERE.
Why did we meet?
- Round-the-room introductions -- what do you want to learn/accomplish?
- Agenda additions/deletions changes
- Circulate contact sheet
- Notetaker assigned and/or consent to record meeting
Reports and briefings presented
- Paul Hopkins and Richard Taskin talked about their experience anchoring live cablecast coverage for northern Berkshire of the Nov. 7 election night. How might we make this more regular, and simultcast it on one or more of our regional low-power community radio stations (WCFM, WJJW, WBTN) -- and stream it on the web? Would people pay to support such a resource?
- Amy Stevens discussed on new initiatives to use blogs and "podcasts" on the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts website with the aim of enhancing college-community connections.
- Head from Fred Daley and Jenny Stern husband-wife publishers of the Hill Country Observer, about their monthly issue-oriented publication and where they would like to take it (including website).
- Heard from Jeff Potter, editor/owner of the Shelburne Falls Independent, about his integration of website with his every-other-week newspaper.
- Learned about plans by the new president of Southern Vermont College, Karen Gross, to establish a "community media center" -- presented by David Scribner, former Berkshire Eagle editor and now full-time staff/faculty at SVC working to help program WBTN, 1370khz AM, which SVC owns.
- WBCR-LP staffers offered to help with formation of a "podcast" network (shared audio reports) among Berkshire/SW Vermont low-power FM stations in Great Barrington, Pittsfield, North Adams, Williamstown and Bennington. Anyone with ideas or energy to help with this project should send an email to them. We are thinking of a simple blog using the resources of archive.org to host files.
- Reviewed the opportunity to apply for a Knight Brothers 21st Century News Challenge grant (deadline Dec. 31) for a regional collaboration. Scribner and SVC will take the lead. See: http://newshare.typepad.com/mgp2006/2006/09/here_it_is_the_.html
Scheduled but did not show
- A report from Susan Bush, new editor (as of Dec. 1) of the iBerkshires website of North Adams' BoxcarMedia, on plans for expanded web-based news coverage.
Video scheduled but not shown
- Fifteen-minute DVD produced by Cambridge Community Television, and filmed mostly at the Media Giraffe Project conference at UMass June 28-July 1, entitled: "Citizen Journalism: From Pamphlets to Blogs."
- DEFERRED -- Form "organization" (probably with SVC as fiscal sponsor)?
- What is first task?
-- Review Northern Berkshire Community Coalition and iBerkshire calendars
-- SVC-Scribner working on Knight grant
-- WBCR-LP volunteers looking into pod-sharing collaborative?
-- DEFERRED -- reporter training?
- Time frame for next meeting -- sometime in late January or early February.
- Exchange contact information
- Use the wiki -- COMMENT-POSTING PAGE